Sunday, February 25, 2018

Angels Among Us

Wow! It's been a LONG time since I posted! I won't fill you in on my life since I know you're not here for my life story. The only thing you need to know is I am now in a family ward and the stake Relief Society secretary. I absolutely love it! I wanted to share with you some elements of a lesson our presidency gave at our stake auxiliary training meeting a few months ago.

The theme was Angels Among Us. Our president had asked me if I could sing a solo or put a group together to sing for our lessons to all the stake RS presidencies (we have 9 wards so roughly it was 27 women). A few years ago I sang in a trio in East Texas and I absolutely loved the song! It's called "Will You Be My Angel?" and the sheet music is free online. You can get it HERE. It's for a soprano, tenor and alto with a piano accompaniment. The story of the song is a sister (soprano) who is lonely and needs comfort so she prays to Heavenly Father to send an angel. The voice of Heavenly Father (tenor) reaches out to another sister to ask her to reach out to the first sister, to be His angel. The 2nd sister (alto) replies that she is willing to do whatever God asks of her because she has felt His goodness and comfort during her own life. At the end, they all 3 come together to sing. The song is so gorgeous and I loved singing it. The message is so sweet.  We decided this would be a good message for our lesson. I sent out the invitations about a month in advance. I have to do everything in Spanish and English.



We sang our song at the beginning of the meeting so it set the mood for the rest of the meeting.

Oftentimes when we think of angels we imagine heavenly beings who are watching over us but Elder Holland gave a talk in General Conference called "The Ministry of Angels", and he tells us how we can be angels to the people around us. The main quote we focused on says, "Not all angels are from the other side of the veil. Some of them we walk with and talk with here, now, every day." Our president some to the presidencies about how they could be angels to their sisters and how to encourage them those sisters to help each other.

After she spoke, we had 3 RS presidents give a 5-10 minute lesson on fellowship, teaching with the Spirit, and service. We addressed some other stake items with the remaining time, and then ended with a brunch. Our dessert was an angel food cake with Cool Whip and strawberries along with some other light finger foods.

For a gift/handout, our president picked up several spiral notebooks at the store since they were very inexpensive due to school sales going on. I created a collage of picture quotes that had to do with angels or service which I printed on cardstock paper. I used a spray adhesive to attach to them to the front of the notebooks. We put one in each chair before the meeting so they had one to use during the meeting to take notes if they wanted. I also created 3-4 notebooks with Spanish quotes (which are much harder to find) for our Spanish-speaking sisters. I basically found a quote and then designed it in picture quote form to use as part of the collage. If you're interested in having a copy of the Spanish file, please email me at: themusegirl@gmail.com. For English quotes, you can find lots of images on Pinterest and use a picture editing program to set them up into a collage. Since those are not my images, I don't want to give them out. But I uploaded some pictures below as a reference.



Spanish cover (the image/quote in the top left hand corner isn't mine):



English cover:


Hope you found something helpful! We had a very spiritual meeting and I think the sisters felt encouraged to go forth to love and serve their sisters!

No comments:

Post a Comment